CAPE TOWN – The case of the alleged assault on Flippie Engelbrecht is back in court on Friday and it’s becoming clouded in controversy.
One of the accused committed suicide when the case took its toll.
But Engelbrecht’s version of events, that allegedly left him a blind amputee have been questioned.
And now the credibility of his legal advisor, Carina Papenfus, is on the line, but she says she has nothing to hide.
Papenfus has been lauded as the activist and hero, who brought Flippe Engelbrecht’s case to the country’s attention and to the courts.
But previously, she was a millionaire property developer and attorney in Johannesburg. She was accused of defrauding buyers and owing her creditors R40 Milllion, and so she was sequestrated.
Carina Papenfus, Legal Advisor said, “I was diagnosed with bipolar and obsessive compulsive disorder when I was 37 and then my life made sense to me. And I realised I have been living my whole life on the corner of madness and geniality. I read a book once – the secret diary of a demented housewife and I saw a lot of myself in that book.”
‘’Look, it’s a controversial issue – here I am as a white woman standing up for the rights of a poor black child against white power and white wealth.’’
Martha Kunene, who worked for Papenfus and bought a house from her but the property was never transferred into her name, doesn’t see it that way.
Kunene said, “I will kill her. I have lost everything because of her, everything, my husband, my house, my job. All because of Carina.”
In the past week, Flippie’s version of events has been called into question. Neighbours have claimed that he suffered from epilepsy well before the attack.
But, despite the controversy Papenfus says she will carry on her fight.
ORDER OF EVENTS
- 28 December 1994 – Flippie Engelbrecht was born (According to The Freedom Trust/Carina Papenfus).
- 2006 – Mariette Addelaar’s child refuse to play with Flippie Engelbrecht due to his epilepsy attacks (According to Mariette Addelaar as published by Cape Argus).
- 25 January 2008 – Flippie Engelbrecht (13) was assaulted (According to The Freedom Trust/Carina Papenfus).
- 28 January 2008 – Flippie Engelbrecht (13) was taken to Tygerberg Hospital for an emergency operation which left him blind (According to The Freedom Trust/Carina Papenfus).
- 2008 – The Engelbrecht family was chased off the Rietvallei estate due to alcohol abuse (According to the deceased Mr. Burger as published by 2 Oceans Vibe).
- 2009 – Flippie Engelbrecht (15) is a promising rugby player (According to Carina Papenfus and a letter she wrote to Joost van der Westhuyzen to get support for Flippie).
- 15 August 2009 – Flippie Engelbrecht (15) visit a doctor in Robertson due to a swelling in his face (According to Hospital records as published by Cape Argus).
- 19 August 2009 – Flippie Engelbrecht (15) was referred from Robertson to Worcester Hospital due to a “possible brain abscess” (According to Hospital records as published by Cape Argus).
- 20 August 2009 – Flippie Engelbrecht (15) was transferred to Tygerberg Hospital for a brain-scan (According to Hospital records as published by Cape Argus).
- September 2009 – Flippie Engelbrecht (15) fell into an open fire which caused serious burns and resulted in the amputation of both his hands (According to The Freedom Trust/Carina Papenfus)
- October 2009 – Flippie Engelbrecht (15) was evaluated by the Pioneer school for visual-impaired children in Worcester after he allegedly became blind due to a swelling on his face that was recently treated at the Tygerberg Hospital (According to the Pioneer school as published by Cape Argus).
- 19 August 2012 – Flippie Engelbrecht (18) receive treatment for burns on his hands. Ten days later both his hands are amputated (According to Hospital records as published by Cape Argus).
- 2013 – Carina Papenfus press charges for the alleged assault on 25 January 2008 on behalf of Flippie Engelbrecht at the Sea-point police (According to Cape Argus).
- 03 September 2013 – Mr. Johnny Burger commits suicide.
- 06 September 2013 – Mr. Marius Fransman, deputy minister of international relations for the ANC, threaten the media and people if they should try to investigate Carina Papenfus. He accuses those who question her integrity as being “white extremists, racists, fascists and of narrow stupidity”.